You are here: HomeForum Home → Fishing Forums → Fishing Reports → Thread

Daughter"s First Cobia

RankRank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2009-07-10

PM

It was another father/daughter trip today as Christina and I headed back to the Spanish hole in hopes of a repeat of last weeks performance. We put out three lines with cigar minnows on BWC hotshots just like last week. Ran one line on the downrigger with a silver drone spoon. That’s the one that got the first hit and after a good fight to boatside we see it’s a stinky (barracuda). We had several knockdowns only to be disapointed with shortstrikes. The fish kept missing the treble hooks. After some frustration was starting to set in we get a good solid hit and boated a 23” spanish. This is what we came for so now we’re all smiles. Unfortunately it was the last hit we got at this spot. Decided it was time to make our way back toward the hill. Most folks pick up their baits and run to their next spot but a couple years ago Christina boated her first Mahi near this same location so I decided to cut off all the dead baits and tie on some Yozuri DD. That way I could bump up the speed a little bit and cover more area. We had moved inshore about three miles when the longline goes off. It was a steady tight pull for Christina much like a shark except it was on top of the water. Actually looked like a log but every now and then it would peel off a little line. Christina finally got it to the boat only to have it dive time after time. That fish didn’t want any part of that gaff. She finally wore him out enough to sink the gaff in him and haul her first cobia onboard. To say I am a proud dad is putting it mild. After getting some photos we start our troll again and a mile later another line goes off. This time it’s another pesky shark. Well Christina’s wore out and it’s hot with no breeze so we brought it on home. Another trophy fish marked off her bucket list. Guess we’ll have to go for a sailfish next

Image Attachments

7-16-13_Chriss_Cobia_7-16-13.jpg

Signature

Gery
Hunter’s Haven Taxidermy
http://www.huntershaventaxidermy.com

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 350

Joined 2008-02-28

PM

WOW - nice cobia!  Tell Christina congratulations for me!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2008-05-15

PM

Awesome, nothing like seeing a daughter catch a nice fish. Congratulations on chopping at the bucket list.

Signature

“In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”  John Muir